OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANYStarStar India has defined the Indian media landscape for over two decades and today is one of the country’s leading media conglomerates, reaching approximately 650 million viewers a month across India and more than 100 other countries. Star generates 20,000 hours of content every year and broadcasts 40+ channels in 8 different languages, reaching 9 out of 10 C&S TV homes in India. The network’s entertainment channel portfolio includes Star Gold, Channel V, Star World, Star Movies, Star Utsav, Life OK, Movies OK and Star Plus, India's No. 1 Hindi General Entertainment Channel. It has a leading presence in regional broadcasting as well, through a bouquet of affiliate channels which includes Star Jalsha, Jalsha Movies, Star Pravah, Asianet, Asianet Plus, Suvarna, Suvarna Plus, Vijay and now Maa. It is also present in the Indian movie production and distribution space through Fox Star Studios, an affiliate joint venture company.
- Generate analytics of policy trends and regulations impacting core business. Generate legal and policy solutions including but not limited to position documents on specific regulations
- Become the point of contact and knowledge reference in the Company on Media Broadcasting laws & regulations and also for key policy/decision makers (including officials in government departments, like TRAI, MIB, FIPBDIPP, DOT, Niti Aayog, Ministry of Commerce, Company affairs, RBI, Taxation and, affiliated nonprofit organizations and consumer interest groups) on policy, Llegal & Rregulatory issues surrounding the Media & broadcasting sectors,
- Contribute to evolution of documents and campaigns that with the goal of building on Star’s position as a media company committed to the Indian market for the long term that believes in an environment that is transparent, fair, market-driven, and consumer-friendly.
- Build long term relationships with individuals and organizations to promote Star’s positions, messages, strengthen image, and support select policy initiatives
- Assists in developing messages and strategies in support of Company’s regulatory & government relations activities through well researched materials /documents used in support of those activities.
- Evolve and execute need based policy advocacy strategies.
- Works with nodal ministries including but not limited to TRAI & MIB & other relevant policymakers and policy influencers on issues that affect the development of media industry in India
- Develops strategies to strengthen public awareness of issues that are of concern to the Company and works closely with the other legal teams and Corp. Communications/PR in implementing the same.
- Monitors legislative, judicial, and policy reforms, amendments proactively and takes adequate measures to mitigate any risks or negative impact to the Company businesses, and also to keep Star India senior management and staff informed of the same.
- Develops Policy related documentation, white papers, reports, representations, Executive summaries, etc… to carry and communicate the Star’s mission, initiatives, key messages, and activities.
- Acts as a spokesperson and communicator other than with the press; who represents the Company in a variety of public awareness and communications scenarios for eg, at public meetings, conferences, events, including bodies as appropriate.
- Risk-proofs company on IPR/contractual issues, Civil/Criminal matters
- LLB, preferably LLM with minimum 5 years’ experience
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Ability to evaluate policy and regulatory trends and development highlight key issues
- Demonstrated ability to understand legal dimensions of policy and regulatory developmental and manage high value or complex Litigations against third parties or Government bodies.
- Prior Should have exposure to Regulatory, Legislative & Policy changing initiatives for their respective organizations that resulted in positive benefits for the businesses.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with proven ability to research, analyse and articulate complex legal or regulatory policy issues and solutions through white papers, representations, memos, executive summaries, Industry reports etc.
- Good working knowledge of general substantive & procedural laws, such as Contract Act, Companies Act, RBI Regulations, FEMA, CPC, CrPC, IPC, Evidence Act, Trademarks & Copyright Act, Telegraph Act, IT Act, Stamp Act, Registration Act, local Muncipal laws, Transfer of Property, Power of Attorney Act etc,.with ability to practically apply the same to a dynamic and changing business scenario.
- Computer savvy, and comfortable with technology and MS Office, PPT, Excel etc.
- Working knowledge of telecom, media, digital, internet or any regulated industries will be a plus point.
Good Analytical and presentation skills
- Adhere to timelines
- Risk mitigation
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.